Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jamie Ridler asked me...

Jamie Ridler of Jamie Ridler Studios and Starshyne Productions was kind enough to answer my request that she interview for this awesome interview meme. After losing my initial answers, I've finally answered them again and am sharing them with you here. WARNING: This gets a bit lengthy so hugs and kisses if you make it to the end!

THE INTERVIEW RULES

* leave me a comment with your email address saying: “interview me”

* I will e-mail you five questions of my choice

* you can then answer the questions on your blog {with a link back to my blog}

* you should also post these rules, along with an offer to interview anyone else who emails you, wanting to be interviewed

* anyone who asks to be interviewed should be sent 5 questions to answer on their blog

* it would be nice if the questions were individualized for each blogger.


MY QUESTIONS FROM JAMIE

1. What were you like in high school?

I should have applied myself more in high school. I was placed in a high potential/gifted student program the year of its inception. We were able to choose a career we were interested in and the school would team us up with a mentor in that field. I chose journalism and was able to tag along with a journalist during their interview of a Minnesota State Senator. It was exciting and I had visions of myself as an edgy and hip Barbara Walters. A week later, I was told the journalist was not able to continue the mentorship so I needed to choose another field of interest. I chose child psychology and was able to work with kids with learning disabilities. I just loved those kids and it was a rewarding experience but I did not continue with more training in this area.

As I look back now, I see an uncertain teenage girl who was more concerned in becoming what others wanted than in exploring what she (I) wanted. I was the girl who got along with everyone but felt I belonged nowhere. I went to the parties but found them shallow and disappointing. I was fortunate enough to have a few true friends and I’m happy to report we still keep in touch today. Our class was apathetic and being a cheerleader or belonging to a group was SO uncool. Maybe that’s why I’m a joiner today. Making up for lost ground. I did belong to the Choir for two years and the school newspaper my senior year. The seniors were asked to state their ambition in life which appeared in our yearbook. Mine said: “To live in Jamaica in a beach house and write science fiction novels. Also, to become a psychologist.“ Hmmm…what happened there?

2. What do you love about the woman you’ve become?

While I’m trying to be more trusting, I’m basically an optimistic person and look for the best in others. I like that I can usually read people and situations fairly accurately, but as any true Libran would do, I play out the “but what ifs” in my head and do not pass judgment.

I’ve been through some difficult times over the last 44 years but they’ve only served to make me stronger. I explore this further in my answer to Question 5.

It is important to me that I was able to break free from destructive relationship patterns and give myself permission to accept a truly good and loving man, my husband.

3. On National Guilty Pleasure Day, what would you be doing?

I’d probably watch Clerks, Sandra Dee movies (The Reluctant Debutante!), the Top 100 80’s Songs on VH-1 (Tainted Love by Soft Cell anyone?!) and a host of other lighthearted fare. I’d then break for a lunch of tacos with sour cream, Fritos and M&Ms, and a Butterfinger Blizzard. Next, I’ll run through the Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel series while pretending to kick butt in my living room in a pitiful attempt to channel my special powers and work off lunch (as the guilt starts to seep in).

Hmm, maybe I could break out the old Monkees albums, too…

4. How do you get through challenging times?

My husband has called me Warrior Woman because he says when I’m sick, I just battle through it. When something is thrown my way, I’ll usually take it on regardless of what anxieties or fears I might be feeling. Maybe that is because as a single mother for 15 years, I pretty much had no choice but to keep on keepin’ on. It was not easy working full time while caring for a special needs child but I tried not to let that be the focus and we just lived our lives. Maybe having to be strong and positive for my son as we faced different challenges helped me tap into an inner core of strength (or maybe I‘m just stubborn!).

5. What would you say is your personal signature?

Hmmm… This is by far one of the most difficult questions to answer that I’ve ever been asked. Perhaps that is because I don’t know what my personal signature is or should be. While I think I know myself pretty well, I have a difficult time reading how others view me or what I’m doing. I would say that I’m a listener and wary optimist who enjoys encouraging others. My friends and acquaintances tend to seek me out when wanting to hash out a problem and they need a (hopefully) nonjudgmental ear. At least, that is what I’ve been told.

With regard to my writing, I prefer to write efficiently and get my thought across in the fewest amount of words possible. Maybe that is why I struggle with longer projects like novels. It seems overwhelming to whittle so much away and still be left with an acceptable word count. Sheesh, you probably don’t believe that last statement after the way I’ve been rambling here!

As I said, I’m not really sure how to answer this question and would be interested to know what others think my personal signature is.


Want me to interview you? Leave a comment including your email or email me directly and I'll send you 5 questions just for you.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting questions and fascinating answers! Love your day of guilty pleasures! Rock on Warrior Woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I don't know that I'd know how to answer that last question. I think you answered it well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABulouso!! How wonderful to read your answers and get new and wonderful insights into you. I totally heart that picture of you and your National Guilty Pleasure day is truly inspired! You rock, Warrior Woman!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They certainly brighten my day!