Monday, January 5, 2009

The Girl With No Shadow


I'm feeling giddy with inspiration tonight, all due to The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris. It is the sequel to Chocolat. I absolutely adore Ms. Harris' writing. Love it! I confess I did not read Chocolat but watched the movie and was charmed to no end. Her ability to make you feel the wind, taste rich delicacies, see the sky as it blankets the town...she's a woman after my own heart. Not only does Ms. Harris grab you with her ability to incorporate all the senses into every aspect of her stories, she also nourishes your growing need to know more about the characters, their past lives and abilities and more. Her stories don't bash you over the head with a message, they continuously reward you with one truth after the next in a silky and subtle manner. She writes the way I want to write. Beautiful words put together with beautiful ideas.

I won't go into detail about a specific story but would direct you to her website where you can read interviews and excerpts, reviews and more. My hope and prayer is that I one day have such talent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. They certainly brighten my day!