Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Simply Kind Tuesdays - Pedestrians

I'll try not to make this sound like a rant but I'd like to make this suggestion: Pedestrians, Please Be Kind To Drivers!

Please tell me if I'm the only one who experiences this. I'll be parked in a grocery store parking lot (always the worst), trying to back out of my spot in order to leave the lot. I'll look to the left and then to the right and back again. There will be no one coming from either direction when I slowly start to back out, double and triple checking all directions when all of a sudden, someone will walk out from between two cars and keep walking into the space my car is headed so I have to stop suddenly.

Now, I understand that pedestrians almost always come first but should that really be the case when you are clearly halfway back from your parking spot, no one is around, and then someone heads directly into your path? Do you know what I mean? When I am the pedestrian and I see a car backing up and I am not yet close by, I do not purposely walk into their path. It's as if these people are daring the drivers to hit them. What happened to a little common courtesy in allowing others to pass? I can be sitting there for several minutes before there's a break in the action or someone recognizes my intention and allows me to move.

I'm not saying that pedestrians have to defer to drivers at all times, I'm just asking them to please be smart, and kind, and aware of their surroundings. Thank you. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yikes. People in parking lots scare me. It's almost as if they're looking for a law suit?

    I've taken to parking far away from the masses--not cuz of the vehicle getting 'dinged', but to avoid what you described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I totally agree with you. I'm amazed at people who just jump into the street randomly. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They certainly brighten my day!