Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sacred Life Sunday #1

If you scroll down the page a bit, you'll see a beautiful badge with the words "Sacred Life Sunday" on it. Some time ago, I stumbled upon the Zena Musings blog and immediately started feeling calmer as I looked over the page and checked out Carla Blaze's Zena Moon website. Carla is the creator, candle-maker and sole proprietor of the Zena Moon candle-making business.

Back at the blog, I read about her 30-day personal journey she called My Sacred Life wherein she posted daily a photo from her daily life capturing something that connected her to Spirit, like her prayer beads, candles, family, her garden, etc. Others joined the project and it became Sacred Life Sunday. It seemed like a wonderful idea to me but I already had so much on my plate that I never really got started with it. After checking back to her blog several times, and feeling the pull to take this journey myself, I finally decided to give it a go. So, here goes...

It may seem strange to some people, but I find an exquisite peace when I'm visiting a cemetery. Both of my parents passed on in the last year and a half and I felt the pull to visit them where they rest.

I enjoy walking or driving the paths of the cemetery no matter what the season. In winter, there's a chilly stillness and the trees show off their majesty.

The cemetery in spring and summer feels like a garden with the pretty flowers, winding paths and leaves fluttering in the wisp of a breeze. Autumn is my favorite time to visit. I love the riotous display of colored leaves playing the perfect contrast to the dark and sometimes decaying headstones. The cool breeze has a faint burning scent and everything seems so rich; just dripping with vibrancy. It's an odd word to use when talking about a cemetery but that's how I see it.

It's always interesting to walk around and look at the names and dates on the headstones and wonder about the life that person led. Can you tell anything from a name?

I'm glad I went to visit my parents today and I'm glad their site is not far from where I live. I don't think their spirit is there in that cemetery, no matter how romantic that would seem. I believe their spirits are soaring elsewhere and I hope to see them again one day. I'd like to let them know I appreciate their efforts with me and that I understand that as parents, we don't always know what we're doing, we just try to do our best. I want them to know that I'm trying my best with my son.

The Sacred Life Sunday objective is to get us thinking about what connects us to Spirit and I have to say that spending time in cemeteries, especially this one, helps me connect.


2 comments:

  1. I lost my aunt this year and I too find alot of peace in the cemetary where she rests... my hubby thinks its odd but its almost like being close to heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the lost of your aunt. I like what you said about "being close to heaven." I guess that's how I feel when I'm in the cemetery, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They certainly brighten my day!